Sunday, June 7, 2009

Checking out....without reprecussions

So my stepkids mother informed us that she "may not be taking her entire summer time" this year. It seems sitting at baseball games and taking kids to sports practice is just not her cup of tea. So this got me thinking....

Why is it that if I, as the custodial parent of my two boys, decided I was simply going to check out....not take them to school, feed them, take care of them, see them....my hind end would be thrown in jail without a second thought for neglect or some other charge. But if a non-custodial parent opts to not "exercise" their parenting time, there are no reprecussions. I mean, if we took her to court, the would not even cut back her visitation unless she agreed to it!


So here we sit, not knowing for sure, so we can't make plans for child care. Here we sit, not knowing, so we can finalize a trip we have planned with friends next month. Here we sit, not knowing for sure, so I can't even correctly go shop for groceries, because shopping for 4 or shopping for 7 are two entirely different things!

I want to thump her upside her over-processed, freaky colored red hair and say, "Sorry about your luck" but the reality is, we don't have that luxury. She doesn't pay support. She is not required to take her visitation. And every excuse she makes is an emotional abuse equivalent of a smack across the face.

And no reprecussions....and don't get me wrong....I will happily support my husband in being 100% their parent. He is the parent and I don't have to "do it" for him. I just provide him support through these times.

Maybe that reprecussion will come one day when the stepkids are older and they want to know why. Maybe it won't be until her final judgement day.

I guess we will just have to see.

No comments: